Nia is a total body-mind workout; it develops sensory awareness, is kind to the joints, and is adaptable to all levels of fitness, all ages and body types, including those with special limitations.
This cardiovascular movement practice is taught in more than 45 countries worldwide in a variety of settings, including high schools, fitness clubs, hospitals and corporate environments, and is usually done barefoot. Nia blends healing arts (including yoga), dance and martial arts and is based on the seeking of pleasure and not pain.
Nia enables you to move in your own way, and focus on what you need. All Nia movements are based on what is called The Body’s Way – a method of moving the body in accordance with its natural design and function. Participants are encouraged to explore three planes of movement (low, middle and high) and to choose from three intensity levels based on their individual needs.
The benefits of Nia:
- Strengthens muscles, improves muscle tone, and increases muscle definition
- Facilitates weight loss and proper weight maintenance
- Calms the mind and relieves stress
- Improves endurance and flexibility
- Improves concentration and cognitive function
- Increases the pleasure of living in your body
- Alleviates emotional problems, including depression, anxiety and stress
- Improves circulation of blood and improves lymphatic drainage
To watch Nia in action and get a “sense” of it, click on below links: